Tuesday 21 August 2012

York Waits


The musicians leading this troupe of players are the York Waits. Despite over 500 years service the Waits were abolished in 1836 as their mediaeval revelries did not match the Victorian ideals of public behaviour. Recently revived the Waits play the instruments of their predecessors such as shawm, cornett, saggbut, curtal, flutes, crumhorns, bagpipes, hurdy-gurdies, lute and cittern. Here they serenade one of the the Mystery Play wagons through the city.
Taking part in Ruby Tuesday

6 comments:

  1. Lovely shots.

    Visiting from Ruby Tuesday. Here is my my RUBY post, come by when you have a chance. Your comment means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those Victorians were such spoilsports! Nice red capture, and festive....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled around and found their website. Interesting bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather like the lute and indeed I know someone who busks rather well with one. The Victorians were often great ones for double standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of the York Waits, but I have heard of Mystery Play wagons! I am surprised that there are still examples of the latter! Wonderful capture of these red-dressed characters!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...