Wednesday 29 August 2012

G is for Grey Squirrel


The North American Grey Squirrel was released into the UK sometime in the 19th century as novelty addition to the fauna by the Victorians. So successfully has this rodent adapted to life in the UK that it has pushed the native Red Squirrel population toward a potentially catastrophic collapse. I can see a Grey Squirrel every day if I wish, I have seen a Red Squirrel just a handful of times. 
However the Grey Squirrels are not to blame and many people enjoy their everyday encounters, this one was happily posing for pictures in the middle of the city.
Taking part in ABC Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. Individually they may not be to blame but collectively they have stuffed our native red squirrels. As a boy we had red squirrels in our garden but I have not seen one in 3 years and the last were kept in an enclosure like in a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are sweet looking, and blameless. Our former local vicar though used to call them "rats with good PR" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You described them accurately with the word "rodent!" My husband is tolerant of them and thinks they're "cute," but I consider them nothing but a nuisance. They and our abundant crop of rabbit have managed to kill several of our shrubs last winter and spring. Bah! Kate, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. messing with the ecology often has unintended consequences!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a chubby beastie! They have been eating my strawberries all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All cousins of the ones in my yard! Rodents...yes, but still cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think squirrels are fun playful things to watch, when they are not eating my flowers. But I understand the Reds are even more playful than the black and greys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like a very healthy squirrel. The squirrels around here (Southern California) who like to eat the avocados on my tree are brown rather than grey. They must be yet another version!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...