Wednesday 15 August 2012

Exhibition Square


Exhibition Square was built in 1879 to celebrate the Yorkshire Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition of that year. It houses the city Art Gallery and looks out over Bootham Bar and York Minster. The square is also a busy traffic thoroughfare which prevents it from being a classically beautiful square. The statue is of William Etty, York's most famous artist, who campaigned successfully to prevent the demolition of Bootham Bar.
Taking part in ABC wednesday

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and interesting city York is. Thanks for your contribution! Have a great day!
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great square to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love seeing pics of faraway places.....thanx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat looking square, fun place to visit.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your blog...I'll be checking back regularly to see more of York. My husband and I were there on a couple of rainy summer days in June 2009 and we loved York and the Minster and walking your streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame it rained, hope you get the chance to come back and enjoy sunshine! Will try and find some sunny posts in the meantime........

      Delete
  6. an illustrious locale.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. I new Etty was a Yorkshire man but did not know he was from York. You still have tour buses, our single tour bus was abandoned some time back, pity I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Calling by from ABC Wednesday, I always enjoy photographic reminders of my home country.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...