Wednesday 15 February 2012

E is for Eoforwic


Before the city fell to Viking invaders around AD866 York was known as Eoforwic. Vikings are in York once again, this is the carved prow of a Viking boat currently on display in Coppergate. As the culmination of the week long Viking festival the boat is set on fire following a torchlit funeral procession for a fallen warrier.
This ceremony used to take place on the River Ouse, but following a few near misses with large crowds and unpredictable winds it now takes place on Knavesmire, amid a firework display.
This is an ABC Wednesday post, you may visit others here

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Viking burial, very cool.
    I've been to York once years ago and I enjoyed browsing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT piece of history!


    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet boat! In my post this week I include a slam poem by Taylor Mali about Viking ships...cool how so often there is a synergy between and among ABCWednesday posts. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a Viking funeral must be a sight to see. interesting snippet of history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking that that was his name. Cool tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Viking Boat on fire AND fireworks, I'd think I'd gone to heaven if I caught that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Viking festival would be interesting to watch or perhaps join in. Stanwood was founded by Norsemen so we have lots of Vikings around here. One small shopping center is called Viking Village. So there ya go. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm coming to York this summer and will have to check out the Viking history of the city.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...