Tuesday 3 January 2012

William Etty Exhibition


York Art Gallery currently has a major exhibition of works by William Etty RA (1787-1849) called Art and Controversy. I stopped by for a look last week. One room contained many of his nudes which led to him being described as tittilating. Etty himself maintained that "To the pure of heart all things are pure". Other observers noted that "the nether limbs of one of the figures are displayed with more voluptousness than decorum" Depends on your point of view I guess.

2 comments:

  1. The room itself is quite lovely - gorgeous gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an exhibition I would have liked to view.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...