Sunday 14 July 2013

Royal Train


Nothing understated about the Royal Train! I wonder if this was the locomotive that brought Queen Victoria to dinner in York in 1854? Rumour has it that she stopped to dine at The Station Hotel, a meal paid for by the city. At the insistence of some of the city counsellors the Royal Household was later sent a bill for the food. Victoria never visited the city again and the blinds of the Royal Train were always drawn as it passed through York on the way to Balmoral!

5 comments:

  1. Nice story which I can well believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough when you can't afford a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have this beauty in your collection. It is a wonderful. I had fun once stepping inside, as a visitor to the museum, I might add :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...