Thursday 25 October 2012

White Boar


A close look at a stained glass window on a recent visit to St-Martin-cum-Gregory in Micklegate revealed this white boar. This motif was the badge of Richard III King of England from1483-85, who was also known as Richard of York. Killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 Richard III was the last English king to die in battle. Always popular in York (he halved the cities taxes during his reign) it is no surprise to find his badge hidden away in a quiet corner.
Recent excavations in a car park in Leicester claim to have discovered Richard's remains (his body was disposed of secretly after the battle) and a debate is raging over where, if it proves to be Richard, he should be buried. Come back tomorrow to hear a twist in the tale!

4 comments:

  1. I read the story about the car park dig, be nice if he can be re buried in a dignified manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! Market Bosworth is not far from here. On my list to visit. See you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of little hidden images in a larger work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've followed the story of Richard's remains. Thrilling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...